Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Suddenly A Murder


I thiiiiiiink I stumbled across Lauren Muńoz's "Suddenly A Murder" at target (not a targeted add this time--just lack of control at a store instead).

["Seven friends throw a 1920s-themed party, where it's all pretend--until one of them is murdered. One of Us Is Lying meets Knives Out in this killer locked-room mystery.

Someone brought a knife to the party.

To celebrate the end of high school, Izzy Morales joins her ride-or-die Kassidy and five friends on a 1920s-themed getaway at the glamorous Ashwood Manor. There, Izzy and her friends party in vintage dresses and expensive diamonds--until Kassidy's boyfriend turns up dead.

Murdered, investigators declare when they arrive at the scene, and now every party guest is a suspect. There's the girlfriend, in love. The other girl, in despair. The old friend, forlorn. The new friend, distressed. The brooding enigma. And then, there's Izzy--the girl who brought the knife.

To find the killer, everyone must undergo a grueling interrogation, all while locked in an estate where, suddenly, the greatest luxury is innocence."]

I enjoyed how this book flashed from the present to the past (again, trickling through everyone's POV--giving us readers incite on exactly why everyone at the party had motive and means to murder Blaine (he was kinda an asshole (though, he didn't deserve to die))). I mean, I even suspected Izzy, our narrator (she IS the one who brought the knife).

I managed to catch the ONE inconsistency (there might have been more). I threw my book, ran around the house, and told my mom "I figured out who did it! It was REDACTED!" Which, honestly makes sense. 

Though, gonna be honest here, I was not 100% sold on the Why. Yes, it was legit, and yes, people have murdered for less, and YES it was horrible and disgusting and just blegh (ONE of the many reasons Blaine sucks (though, this one wasn't all his fault)). But it just...I don't know. The novel deflated a bit for me after that. 

Though x2, there were some nice plot twists in there (family, friends, romance, acceptance, disregarding people's biases, going for your dreams).

#suddenlyamurder #laurenmunoz #thriller #yathriller #murdermystery #yamurdermystery #books #bookstagram #bookphotography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Testing the Goalie (Green Springs University #2)

Sorta trying to catch up on a few books from my short list TBR piles. Here's Laura John's latest series: Green Springs University. T...