Thursday, January 17, 2019

Amber and Dusk

I received "Amber and Dusk" by Lyra Selene about a month ago from my UppercaseBox (more on that later, promise). I kept putting off on reading it, because I'm usually (usually) not one for fantasy reads (at least I don't ignore their entire existence anymore, 'kay?). But "Amber and Dusk" was good, really good.

Slyvie (also known as Mirage) was an orphan living on the very edge of the world of sunlight. She made it her life goal to get to Amber City, to ask the empress for a position in her court, and to live out the rest of her days in the luxury she had been refused for years. And deserved this life she did, she was a Legacy, she had magic. So she fought for place, fought for some power, fought for respect.

"Amber and Dusk" is a novel filled with politics, intrigue, secrets, magic, love, and conspiracies. Selene created an entire world in which to fall in love with as well as a host of unique and easy to love/hate characters.

One of my only critiques was that I would have preferred to have a map of the world (but that could have been a publishers decision, not an author's choice).

As a fellow author, I loved how Selene added the story-time moment in the first chapter to give readers not only a history lesson but a very important aspect of this world; it was essentially an info-dump without feeling like an info-dump whatsoever.

I also loved how strong and stubborn Slyvie was. We need more determined female characters seeking power and belonging in the world. Books like this, characters like this would be an inspiration to women (and men) everywhere.

What other books have you read that have empowering female characters?


As for the UppercaseBox... UppercaseBox is a book delivery service. Once a month, subscribers receive a new signed first edition hardback book, a personalized book from the author, a bookmark with website lookups (that lead to discussion boards and inside notes from the author), and 2-3 bookish items.
I've had mine for months, and I've been in love since the very first one. When my January box comes (any day now),  I'll post some pictures of it for ya'll.

What monthly book delivery boxes do you love?

#amberanddusk #lyraselene #bookstagram #books #bookphotography #ilovebooks #uppercasebox

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Hide Your Stolen Baby (Closet Baby Chronicles #4)

Here's Anna Winheart's "How To Hide Your Stolen Baby." It's the fourth novel in her Closet Baby Chronicles series. Bec...