Saturday, May 23, 2020

The Westing Game


I don't remember a lot of books that I read in middle school, but I remember reading "The Westing Game" by Ellen Raskin.

We would read it in class (7th grade), read a few chapters a day, out loud. So that we could discuss it together and get through the mystery together and get to the plot twist together.

I remember when we got to the plot twist, got to the part where we figured out who don it, the entire class was S H O O K.

I freaking loved this book. It was during that time where I was still completely obsessed with "The Boxcar Children" so mystery books were totally my thing. So naturally, I had to buy it a few months ago (and only got around to reading it recently--all in one day--182 pages will do that).

["A bizarre chain of events begins when sixteen unlikely people gather for the reading of Samuel W. Westing's will. And though no one knows why the eccentric, game-loving millionaire has chosen a virtual stranger—and a possible murderer—to inherit his vast fortune, one thing's for sure: Sam Westing may be dead ... but that won't stop him from playing one last game!"]

Rereading this book yesterday, I remembered the plot twist, but I forgot everything leading up to it. And I seriously forgot how freaking confusing this book is. So confusing. So many layers. So many side stories. So many subplots.
So FREAKING well written. As a reader, you love gems like this, where everything, absolutely everything, ties together.
As a writer, you hate how these make you feel (as if you could never do something this elaborate).

Did you read "The Westing Game" in middle school?
What middle school books do remember making an impact on you?
Have you reread any books lately from your middle school days?


#thewestinggame #ellenraskin #turtle #childrensbooks #childrensclassics #middleschool #socialdistancing #coronavirus #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...