Monday, November 30, 2020

The Last Secret You'll Ever Keep

I had completely forgotten about the wonderful world of Netgalley until the other day. What is Netgalley? Well, it's a website that lets you read electronic ARC (advanced reader copies) for free, as long as you review them on their website (and in theory, on your own). You are not guarenteed to read each and every book that you request, but you are able to read a lot of them.

My most recent fine was "The Last Secret You'll Ever Keep" by Laurie Faria Stolarz

["Four days…

Trapped in a well, surrounded by dirt, scratching at the walls trying to find a way out.Four days of a thirst so strong, that when it finally rains, I drink as much as possible from the dripping walls, not even caring how much dirt comes with it.

Six months…
Since my escape. Since no one believed I was taken to begin with – from my own bed, after a party, when no one else was home…
Six months of trying to find answers and being told instead that I made the whole incident up.

One month…
Since I logged on to the Jane Anonymous site for the first time and found a community of survivors who listen without judgment, provide advice, and console each other when needed.
A month of chatting with a survivor whose story eerily mirrors my own: a girl who’s been receiving triggering clues, just like me, and who could help me find the answers I’m searching for.

Three days…
Since she mysteriously disappears, and since I’m forced to ask the questions: will my chance to find out what happened to me vanish with her? And will I be next?"]

It was really good. Definitely a little traumatizing. And a lot confusing (though that could be mostly a craft choice due to the narrative being 1st person and the narrator being unreliable due to her trauma). 

And, like any perfectly orchestrated (YA) psychological thriller, there was a really great plot twist (or a few) that kind of blew me away. I'm pretty darn skeptical and can be good at pointing out different twists, but I really, really didn't see that one coming.

Trigger Warnings: suicidal thoughts, murder, death threats, violence, psychological torture, death, starvation, medicalization/institutionalization 

#thelastsecretyoulleverkeep #lauriefariastolarz #netgalley #psychologicalthriller #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...