Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Whisper (Westbrook Elite #7)


Here's to skipping around in a series to only (for now...in theory) read the MM books! Cambria Herbert's Westbrook Elite series broke me when I read them before (and reread WTF), so why not deal with some emotional torture today?? Here's the seventh book in the series: "Whisper."

["Can you whisper?
Something I never thought I’d ask the guy who is exactly my type but completely wrong for me. Someone I sneak secret glances at from a distance while vowing to never get too close. And then I get tossed in jail. With him. Know how forced proximity and extreme panic go together? They don’t. And the walls I spent a lifetime erecting around me crack, giving him an intimate view of all the secrets I work so hard to protect. Color me surprised when the pierced, tattooed DJ doesn’t recoil or call me a freak. Arsen gets me through the night, his attention like a match to my insides, lighting me on fire and making me burn. Keeping my distance is impossible. My body begs to be near him, but we just don’t mix. He’s fire. I’m water. Sound is his superpower but my kryptonite. For once in my life, my heart is louder than my head, and I can’t stay away. But it seems following my heart leads me straight into trouble. Turns out I’m not the only one who thinks maybe Arsen and I don’t belong together, and the people who agree will go to extremes to make sure we stay apart."]

RUINED! Cambria continues to RUIN me with her over-the-top alpha types and her broken-boy with sad eyes counterparts. All of that with a tragic backstory, impossible stakes, and chemistry that just clicks (falling in love impossibly fast but knowing, KNOWING, that its real and forever). 

Arsen was perfect for Matthew. Perfect. He was so understanding and patient and calm to Matthew's over anxiety, never quite mind. And Matthew was perfect for Arsen, giving him something of his own, giving him a higher purpose. They just fit, even if Matthew kept insisting that they didn't/wouldn't/couldn't. 

Quote of the Day (Matthew/Arsen): "'We still don't fit.' // 'Oh, baby, tell me the parts that don't fit, and I'll saw them off so we do.'"

I loved these two so much, soooo terribly much. It wasn't easy for them, not from the very first chapter. But they fought like hell and stuck by each other and made it work.

Also, I loooooove how when Matthew was having an anxiety attack, his POV subtitle didn't spell his name correctly, because he was just that close to broken and not himself. It was so freaking subtle, but I'm obsessed.

QotD 2 (Matthew): "'When you touch me, everything is just right. Like all this time, my body's been waiting for you. Your name is really fitting, Arsen. You set me on fire and make me burn.'"

Trigger Warnings: misophonia, tinnitus, anxiety, ptsd, an asshole lawyer, child abuse, and more. 

#wish #wtf #whisper #whistle #wet #wingspan #wildcard #wow #westbrookelite #westbrookeliteseries #cambriahebert #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clueless Puckboy (Puckboys #5)

Getting lucky and receiving an ARC of "Forbidden Puckboy" means I need to hurry up and caught up with the other two books in the P...