Sunday, June 23, 2024

Off Sides (Darby U Hockey Boys #3)


Here's Andi Jaxon's "Off Sides." It's the third novel in her Darby U Hockey Boys series.

["The captain of the hockey team has a lot of responsibilities but when it’s just us, all he wants is to be my good boy.

Senior year should have been the same as the previous years: football, hook ups, and homework.
But after the season ended, somehow, Joey Carpenter happened.
He’s weaseled his way under my skin. Into my heart.
The strong, intimidating, hockey player melts so beautifully for me and I’m addicted.
He pretends like he doesn’t need anyone, but I see him.
See what he really needs.
The longing to be cared for is there in his eyes.
I desperately want to give it to him.
If I’m being honest with myself, I need to matter.
I need to save him.
Save him from himself.
Save him from his family.
Will I be able to convince him that he deserves to be loved without conditions or will they leave him ragged and broken?"]

You know how in "Hidden Scars," Preston was the one with all the trauma and the fucked up (in an understanding way) trigger warnings, and Jeremy was his rock through it all? Well, in "Off Sides," both Joey and Nick are a little filled to the brink with trauma and fucked up-ness. You just want to protect them both so much, but Joey won't let Nick, and Nick won't let Joey know how much he needs him in return.

They finally figure out a way to push past their insecurities and anxieties and ask people for help. And some people just kinda barge their way in and give help regardless. 

I looooved how this book happened while the other two were happening, because, yes there were a scene or two with Joey and Nick mentioned, but nothing major. I love how these books shared a timeline, but each couple was so caught up in their own love story (and trauma) that they really didn't notice the other couples/timelines happening.

Also, suuuuuuper craving cinnamon rules right now (but not the way those two eat them ;) ). 

Trigger Warnings: off-page death of parent (cancer), emotional abandonment of a parent, disappearance of a high school girlfriend, substance abuse by a sibling, knife fight (sibling not main character), mental health rep (anxiety, lack of self worth, panic, and panic attack), slap on the face by a parent, and more.

#booksprout #arcs #arcteammember
#hiddenscars #blurredlines #offsides #darbyuhockeyboys #darbyuhockeyboysseries #andijaxon #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Text Me If You Love Me

I had caught up with all of my ARCs, requested a toooon more, and proceeded to avoid them. Oops. Here's Rhys Everly's "Text Me ...