Here's Callie Colby's "Tights & Tail." It's the eleventh book in her Hotter Than Hell series. I'm reading them out of order; they're not connected anyway.
["I’m a fake warlock at a Renaissance Faire. I accidentally summoned a critic from Hell.
I get paid minimum wage to wear tights, wave a plastic staff, and recite nonsense Latin from a fantasy paperback. It was supposed to be a show for the tourists.
It wasn't supposed to actually work.
Now I have Belial, a five-hundred-year-old demon lord, following me around the fairgrounds. He’s not interested in my soul; he’s offended by my historical inaccuracies. He spends his days critiquing the blacksmith’s technique, threatening to incinerate the "abominable polyester" costumes, and winning sword tournaments with terrifying, supernatural ease.
He’s the most authentic thing at the Faire, and the crowds love him. I should banish him before he burns down the funnel cake stand, but there’s a problem.
Belial is fascinated by the modern world. Specifically, he’s fascinated by me. He wants to know how zippers work, why I smell like "cheap mead and desperation," and exactly what it takes to make a fake warlock scream for real.
I’m trying to keep him from murdering the patrons, but it’s getting hard to focus when he drags me into the changing tent to show me exactly what that very real, very sensitive tail can do."]
Ever been to one of those restaurants where the staff is mean to you on purpose (me: I could literally never)? This was Belial. Except instead of all-around-mean, he just told literally everyone how inaccurate their cosplay was (and a lot of people loved it—thought he was an official staffer). It went from hostile to (almost) fond, as it should.
I gotta say, I love the demon trope where they know nothing of the modern world and everything is a surprise. It’s cliché but it’s fun and silly and joyful in such an innocent way.
Talk about the spice, though! I was half-dead over here. And at least someone told Jason about tails. ;)
I have PopTarts far too frequently for my own good, but trying all do them at once, ranking them? That sounds like sooo much fun!
I’ve already said how I love that each of these books are so different and yet so similar. Each summoning is different, each couple is different, each setting and universe is different, each set of rules is different. But what’s also different is how they bend those rules to stay together, how their love changes the universe, how their situation sets a precedent. All very romantic.
#summoningmrwrong #summoningmrwrongormrright #hisinfernalpurr #exorciseme #devilwearsnada #blueballingthedemon #mydemonmyhandyman #swipeupforsin #turnmeon #passthegravy #loveyoutodeath #tightsandtail #calliecolby #hotterthanhell #hotterthanhellseries #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks
No comments:
Post a Comment