Saturday, April 27, 2019

I Am Not A Serial Killer

A peer of mine suggested that I read Dan Wells's "I Am Not A Serial Killer" while I was struggling to reach my own creative understanding of a character I was working on (yes, he was a serial killer).

It took me a while to finally read this book, but when I did, I loved it. It fed into my fascination with criminology (a minor of my when I was in undergrad) and serial killers (if you don't know anything about them, don't worry, Wells does a great job at info dumping without info dumping, you got this).


"I Am Not A Serial Killer" follows John Wayne Cleaver, a diagnosed sociopath as he struggles with empathy and...well...not being a serial killer (or killer of any sort). He feels as if he is "fated" to become a serial killer, because of his name, his diagnoses, and the fact that they live above a mortuary. So he lives by a set of self-appointed rules, to keep himself in check.

This is all threatened when he notices suspicious behavior in their small, quite town: a serious of murders. Can he solve the crime himself before he succumbs to his own dark desires?

Fair warning: there are some seriously surprising supernatural aspects in this novel that I did NOT see coming.

Trigger warnings: death, killing, creeping supernatural beings, mortuary stuff (blood, needles, dead bodies, etc).

#iamnotaserialkiller #danwells #criminology #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...