Wednesday, March 9, 2022

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter 2022


Once again, I’m making the wonderful (but expensive) journey to Orlando to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (and Disney World this time around, too). 

After a few years of ignoring J.K. Rowling’s very existence and trying to not give (too much) money into her anti-queer, anti-trans, anti-poc ways, I’ve overcome some of my anger. At least enough to fully enjoy the books and the movies again. I have to say, I did give into the toxicity of Cancel Culture. But I think after stewing on it for a while and thinking through my feelings and trying to figure out where the anger is coming from, I’m a little more…self aware. I’m, at the very least, finally able to separate my frustrations with the authors viewpoints in specific matters with my absolute and undying love for the series itself.  

I think I’ve said so in the past, but I’ve always been able to love the characters as my own and give them a timeline/future that makes //me// feel good. J.K. Rowling only brought us these people and this world. She doesn’t ever get the final say on what we each individually want to believe happened/happens. 

[Copy and Pasted from a previous post] And okay, let's be real here. Headcanons and Fanfiction (certain ones) are better. Way better. In //my// Harry Potter world, certain people didn't die (Sirius, Remus, Fred, etc) and certain people got redemption arcs (Draco, Regulus, etc) and certain people got called out on their behavior (the Durlsey's, Dumbledore, etc), and certain relationships happened/didn't happen (god, all of the gay ships, y'all). And the best part of headcanons and fanfiction? There's inclusivity of certain alienated groups (trans individuals, queer individuals, the entire fucking house of Slytherin, etc)!

ANYWAY, I got over some of the resentment I had for Rowling that leaked into my love of Harry Potter. I’ve accepted that they’re two different things and that I can have two different emotions regarding them.

THEREFORE, because I planned ahead this time (mostly), I was able to reread the entire series again (for the first time in five or six years) as well as rewatch the movies (okay, so all of the movies except for DH 1 & 2--ran out of time there). It was actually really, really enjoyable, because I forgot some of the finer details, and it was a really exciting reread.

And if you were wondering the number of times they mentioned hot cocoa in each book, I got you.  ;) 

I’m still debating what my self-actualizations regarding J.K. and Harry mean in terms of potentially getting a HP-themed tattoo, but I’ll keep you posted. 

I’ll also keep you posted on my trip! Pictures of castles (Hogwarts and Cinderella). Overly-priced-but-purchased-anyway merchandise. Tasty food. And everything in between. 

#harrypotter #philosophersstone #chamberofsecrets #prisonerofazkaban #gobletoffire #orderofthephoenix #halfbloodprince #deathlyhallows #jkrowling #harrypotterworld #disneyworld #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blurred Lines (Darby U Hockey Boys #2)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...