Sunday, November 6, 2022

Young Royals season two


A year and a half ago I rationalized with myself that if listening to an audio book counts as reading, so does reading the subtitles on a Swedish TV show (the entire season in one sitting, mind you). And once again, I regret nothing.

And once again I used way too many tissues (I cried at one--or several--point(s) in every single episode, sobbed during a few, too). 

I was also still blown away by the fucking reality of the story (to recap--aka, copy and pasted from my original Young Royals post..) The queer representation. The representation of mental illness (depression, anxiety, ADHA, aspergers, etc). The fact that the actors were actual teenagers with actual acne and actual flaws (not a cast filled with models). The diversity. The other fact that the main writer (most of the writers actually) and the main director are females.

I saw a post the other day that said Young Royals was the angst we all needed and Heartstopper was the therapy. Both are so fucking right. Young Royals is so dramatic and angsty and soap-opera-y and beautiful and wonderful and horrible. Just when you think you know what character A will do, you're wrong; just when you think you know how character S will play the scene out, you're wrong. 

It was fucking glorious and wonderful, and I don't want more angst (just a happily ever after), but I do want a third season.

Now I just need to go rewatch Heartstopper (again) for my warm, happy feelings. Where's my Charlie Spring and Nick Nelson? Actually, that's not therapy this week either after the shit they pulled on Kit Connor (no one deserves to be outed; no matter who they are, no matter the circumstances, no matter anything--especially when that someone is basically still a minor).

#youngroyals #youngroyalsseasontwo #seasontwo #youngroyalsnetflix #heartstopper #tv #netflix #gaytv #gaynetflix #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...