Monday, January 2, 2023

Nine Liars (Truly Devious #5)


I figured (well, my best friend had some input) that I'd start the year with a murder mystery. And why pick one that's been on my TBR pile when I can pick one that came out a week ago? Here's Maureen Johnson's "Nine Liars." It's the fifth (and better not be last) book in her Truly Devious series.

["Senior year at Ellingham Academy for Stevie Bell isn’t going well. Her boyfriend, David, is studying in London. Her friends are obsessed with college applications. With the cold case of the century solved, Stevie is adrift. There is nothing to distract her from the questions pinging around her brain—questions about college, love, and life in general.

Relief comes when David invites Stevie and her friends to join him for study abroad, and his new friend Izzy introduces her to a double-murder cold case. In 1995, nine friends from Cambridge University went to a country house and played a drunken game of hide-and-seek. Two were found in the woodshed the next day, murdered with an ax.

The case was assumed to be a burglary gone wrong, but one of the remaining seven saw something she can’t explain. This was no break-in. Someone’s lying about what happened in the woodshed.

Seven suspects. Two murders. One killer still playing a deadly game."]

Stevie never changes. When there's a murder, she can't let it go. I mean, I love that for her; solve all those mysteries, babe. This one just happened to be in London, with a group of friends much like and as close as her group. 

So many things happened. SO MANY. I thought I knew things (granted, I did pick up on one inconstancy with the 1995 murder, but I was totally and completely wrong about who it was and why and and how and everything), but I was wrong. Sooooo worth not putting this book down for 5 hours. 

This book ended with a triple-cliffhanger. And me flipping through it like crazy to find more pages all the while muttering (or shouting) "what the fuck what the fuck what the actual fuck" to myself over and over again. Yeah, great start to the new year. Again, there better be a sixth book.

#nineliars #maureenjohnson #trulydevious #thevanishingstair #thehandonthewall #theboxinthewoods #trulydeviousseries #thriller #yathriller #murdermystery #yamurdermystery #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad Next Door (Crimson Club #5)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Dad Next Door." It...