Tuesday, January 24, 2023

The Dark One (Vicious Lost Boys #2)


Gotta be honest, I wasn't going to actually finish this series until maybe (maybe) the fourth and final book came out. But I caved. The second book in Nikki St. Crowe's Vicious Lost Boys series is titled "The Dark One."

["I spent most of my life feeling dead inside -- until I met Peter Pan and the Lost Boys.

It wasn't until Pan and Neverland that I finally felt alive.
But things are not all full of magic and sunlight on the island. There's something darker and more sinister haunting the forest.
And worse, the fae queen and Captain Hook are ready to fight for control of Neverland and they will stop at nothing to get what they want. Including using the one thing Pan never thought he wanted or needed -- me. I'm a descendant of the Darling family and now I belong to him and the Lost Boys.
War is brewing -- can the Never King get his shadow back and assume his rightful throne? And if he does, where will I fit?
Or will all of Neverland be in jeopardy right along with my dark, twisted heart?"]

With this book, I'm starting to understand more and more what the reviewers on GoodReads meant about it just being.... The plot is fun and interesting (dark and twisty), and the pacing is fast, and the book overall is an easy read. The kink isn't what gets me (you do you, boo).
It's just...cringy and overly cheesy at points. And Winnie isn't really...she doesn't have a purpose besides the sexual aspect (which she is fine with and she very much consents to--but its a little too...anti-feminist of having a female character only be there for sexual acts and not plot structure--maybe the next installation will be different).

Like I said, I really enjoy the plot and the different dark and twisty and dark aspects of the novel. The reimagined aspects from the original book are fascinating and something I can't say I would have come up with myself. The shadows and the territories and the expansive fae culture? Captain Hook? The twins?!? Yes, all of that yes.

Will I finish the series anyway? Probably. Stay tuned. ;)

#theneverking #thedarkone #theirviciousdarling #thefaeprinces #nikkistcrowe #viciouslostboys #viciouslostboysseries #books #queerbooks #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad Next Door (Crimson Club #5)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Dad Next Door." It...