Sunday, February 26, 2023

Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone


Not reeeaaally sure where I stumbled across this book, but it's title caught my attention right away. "Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone." W o w. What a title. (by Benjamin Stevenson)

["Everyone in my family has killed someone. Some of us, the high achievers, have killed more than once. I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it is the truth. Some of us are good, others are bad, and some just unfortunate.

I'm Ernest Cunningham. Call me Ern or Ernie. I wish I'd killed whoever decided our family reunion should be at a ski resort, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Have I killed someone? Yes. I have.
Who was it?
Let's get started."]

This book is told in a very honest and blunt but funny point of view. It plays on the tropes of other popular murder mysteries as well as certain genre cliches. It starts with the membership oath of the Detective Club and the 10 Commandments of Detective Fiction. Ernie even tells you he's a reliable narrator, but he can only know so much being both a person and the "author" of the book. It's just all very quirky and fun.

Okay, so fun is an odd adjective, because it is a murder mystery, and there are a lot of murders (Ernie even tells you which chapters they're in during the prologue in case you just want to skip to those).

And there’s so many spoilers! But they’re mentioned quickly and buried in the thick of other details so you totally forget about them until well after they become relevant again.

This book almost reminds me of a Benoit Blanc or Hercule Poirot movie. So. Good! Though a little slow in the beginnings. Still, a major recommend. ((Also, just saw it’s going to be made into a series so gahhhh!!))

I should also point out that this is not a family or killers (spoiler alert of my own). I assumed they were all murderers and criminals, but they’re just..average people with terrible luck.

#everyoneinmyfamilyhaskilledsomeone #benjaminstevenson #ernestcunningham #ernestcunninghamseries #thriller #murdermystery #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...