Wednesday, March 8, 2023

The Midnight Dance (Ever After #2)


Who needs to read TBR books when you can read things you just accidentally found? Who needs to start a series at the beginning when you can just read the second one? Who needs more queer Cinderella retellings?

This one is T.L. Gehr's "The Midnight Dance" from her Ever After series (a book I just accidentally found, the second book in the series, and a queer Cinderella retelling).

["Elam Ascher:
It was supposed to be a one-night stand.
I have a year to prove myself to City Ballet, to convince them to make me a permanent member of the corps. I don’t have time for a love affair. But Charles is so lost and lonely and I’ve never had someone care about me like this before. I can’t keep away, no matter how many times I tell myself I should.

Charles White:
It was supposed to be a one-night stand.
I’ve known I was gay for years, but coming to terms with it is another story. I’ve wanted men before, but never like this. I’ve never wanted to wake up in his arms, cook dinner together, find him waiting for me when I get home from work. Elam is younger than me, more confident, more attractive. He can do so much better than me. I want him anyway.
One night dancing together leads to weeks of dancing around each other before Elam’s wicked stepbrother breaks his leg. With Charles’s homophobic family trying to push him into marriage and Elam’s determination to stand on his own two feet (even if one is out of commission), can the lonely pair still find their way to each other?
"]

I'm not sure if this book was good cheesy or bad? Like...one second, it's freaking adorable and so fun and clever and cute! Then the next second, I'm cringing a bit. 

It was overall a bit dramatic and filled with miscommunications, but my god, it was so damn good. It was an excellent Cinderella retelling. The trigger warnings are heavily needed though, heavily (these families are monsters).

Did I read the whole thing anyway? You better bet I did. Did I love it anyway? You better bet I did. Did I add the rest of the series to my TBR piles? ...yeah, yeah I did.

Trigger Warnings: homophobia, internalized homophobia, violence, neglect, abuse, bullying, anxiety/panic attacks, mention of conversion therapy, and more

#themidnightdance #tlgehr #cinderellaretelling #cinderella #queercinderella #thespindlescurse #thechristmaswishes #kissoflife #everafter #everafterseries #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...