Thursday, March 16, 2023

The Spindle's Curse (Ever After #1)


And let's finish off the series with the first book... This one is T.L. Gehr's "The Spindle's Curse" from her Ever After series (it's a Sleeping Beauty Retelling).

["Sleeping Beauty has insomnia and a habit he can’t shake.
Can true love still break his curse?

Brian Rose
I'm drawn to the needle, just like my mother. Even though I haven't seen her since she stormed into my christening 22 years ago, her dark curse twists through my DNA. So now she wants to meet, I can't resist. I'm fresh out of rehab, moving to the big city all on my own. It's hard enough keeping myself sane without developing a giant crush on some rich dude who just happens to be my new boss.

Philip Arrigo
I'm a liar. A dirty liar. I've lied to my parents, my friends, everyone except the beautiful stranger who's just started working at my restaurant. He's the only one I've confessed my dreams to and maybe it's because he had no idea that I'm New York royalty. I don't want to be just another rich asshole living off other people's hard work. I want to make a difference to the world. But I'll start by making a difference to him.

A prick of death. A kiss of life."]

Well, I knew a few spoilers for this book, because I read this series out of order. I know they fall in love, I know there's a kidnapping and a gun, I know the neighbor from the second book makes a lovely appearance, but what I didn't know.... a. lot. Holy. Shit.

I thought the second book was dark. This one…holy. shit. Please head the trigger warnings below. It was very, very worth it, with all of the fluff and the steam and the soft moments and the instant love and the devotion and saving each other, but it’s dark as hell.

Also, let's all be aware that love and a healthy/deep relationship doesn't cure addiction, as it doesn't cure depression/anxiety, but T.L. did a good job of steering clear of that, even if the blurb hints that love is the answer to all curses.

Still very, very, very interested in knowing if/when the Beauty and the Beast retelling will appear... :( 

Trigger Warnings: drug use, needles, gun, kidnapping, homophobia, violence, and more

#thespindlescurse #tlgehr #sleepingbeautyretelling #sleepingbeauty #queersleepingbeauty #themidnightdance #thechristmaswishes #kissoflife #everafter #everafterseries #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad Next Door (Crimson Club #5)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Dad Next Door." It...