Monday, August 28, 2023

The Last Girls Standing


Okay, so since when did the fabulous author of "Hot Dog Girl" write a thriller filled with gaslighting, manipulation, and murder?! Apparently two weeks ago. Here's Jennifer Dugan's "The Last Girls Standing."

["Sloan and Cherry. Cherry and Sloan. They met only a few days before masked men with machetes attacked the summer camp where they worked, a massacre that left the rest of their fellow counselors dead. Now, months later, the two are inseparable, their traumatic experience bonding them in ways no one else can understand.

But as new evidence comes to light and Sloan learns more about the motives behind the ritual killing that brought them together, she begins to suspect that her girlfriend may be more than just a survivor—she may actually have been a part of it. Cherry tries to reassure her, but Sloan only becomes more distraught. Is this gaslighting or reality? Is Cherry a victim or a perpetrator? Is Sloan confused, or is she seeing things clearly for the very first time? Against all odds, Sloan survived that hot summer night. But will she survive what comes next?"]

I literally...I have no words. 

Half the time, i believed Sloan. Then I believed Cherry. Then Sloan. Then no one. Then Cherry. Then Sloan. Then, just when I thought I knew what was happening? I was wrong. Then!?! When I thought, shit-Jennifer-wouldn't-do-THAT-would-she? ...She did. She really fucking did. I'm just... I'm not sure I'm okay.

This was a twisted tale of grief and trauma and PTSD and mental illness and trauma-bonding and hypnosis and found family and lack-of-family and shit...lots of fucked up stuff. Either way, you need to read this.

#thelastgirlsstanding #hotdoggirl #jenniferdugan #thriller #yathriller #murdermystery #yamurdermystery #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...