Monday, January 8, 2024

My Best Friend's Secret (Men of Fairlake #1)


Not sure what I want to read right now (reading slump mixed with mild seasonal depression). However, Romeo Alexander's "Men of Fairlake" has been on my TBR list for a while now, so I figured I'd start there. The first novel is "My Best Friend's Secret."

["I thought falling in love with my best friend would be the biggest shock of my life. I couldn’t have been more wrong…

Coming back home with my tail between my legs after a bitter divorce and a failed business venture isn’t exactly the life I’d envisioned for myself.

At least there’s Bennett. Strong and steady as always, even if there is a simmering anger in him that wasn’t there when we were boys.

When that anger finally boils over, I’m braced for a fight, but what I get instead… is a kiss.

A kiss that changes everything.

But a surprise visit threatens the new life Bennett and I are beginning to build together. Now I’m faced with an impossible choice: Return to the safe, predictable life I’d always planned on with my ex-wife…

Or take a chance on the unexpected love of a lifetime."]

This above blurb makes Bennett sound like...Adam (he's the real grump in this duo); Bennett is a sunshiny, mischievous golden retriever. 

This book was the perfect mash of angsty and sweet. They didn't have an all out talk about the past, about Adam ghosting Bennett, about Bennett's secret until it had bubbled over and exploded. 

And did it explode...into even more angsty pieces that resembled heartbreak and me crying at midnight. Then it got all soft and sweet and protective and adorable and not-quite-communicating-yet. Then it got all heartbreaking again, times two or three. 

But IT'S FINE. They eventually did talk it out. After Adam got (playfully) hit by his mom with a spatula a few times, and Bennett got yelled at (with good intentions) by his friends, and I cried some more. 

I'm not sure how I feel about some of the spoilers we got for the rest of the series. I loooove when a series takes place within the same timeframe (book A is parllel to book B is parallel to book--you get it), but now that I know at least 4 (or 5) of the future couples, I...don't know.

#mybestfriendssecret #fallingembers #seekingsanctuary #cuffsandcommitment #oncebrokentwiceloved #cakeandcomfort #mychaoshiscalm #menoffairlake #menoffairlakeseries #romeoalexander #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...