Monday, January 22, 2024

Once Broken, Twice Loved (Men of Fairlake #5)


Not sure what I want to read right now (reading slump mixed with mild seasonal depression). However, Romeo Alexander's "Men of Fairlake" has been on my TBR list for a while now, so I figured I'd start there. The fifth novel is "Once Broken, Twice Loved."

["When the man who left you broken-hearted reappears with a child in tow, do you slam the door or let the past come flooding back?

He left me broken. He walked out of my life ten years ago with no explanation, and I fell apart.
Ian, the only man I’ve ever loved just walked back into my life…with his sassy, eleven-year-old daughter, Ayla, who’s deaf. Yes, I can do the math.

He’s a cop, and I’m a paramedic, so our paths have to cross.

I thought I was over him. I thought I’d moved on. I was wrong. Who am I trying to fool?
I finally have answers, but I’m still angry. He says he feels guilty, but at least now I understand.

Maybe we can be friends? Maybe not.

I still love him. Does he still love me? Can we rebuild what we once had? Will we get a second chance?

So many questions…

There’s no time to find all the answers before life decides to kick us in the teeth again, and it’s Ian about to break.
But this time, we’re not alone. We have the whole town of Fairlake behind us."]

This one took me forever to get through. Not because it wasn't good; it was fucking great. But I was tired and then peopling and then avoiding some of the will-they-won't-they angst.

And the angst?! It was glorious. They were both so... Their first re-meeting was amazing. Their first talk as "just friends" was amazing (until it led to shouting and explosive hate sex--which was also amazing). 

They didn't have it easy, from opposite-but-equally-as-not-great parents to resurfacing Feelings to feelings of uncertainty and anger and the lurking toxic ex in the so-as-far-as-anyone-would-hope background. 

But this book was fabulous. As as the other books in the series did, this one really foreshadowed some awesome things for the next book (more angst and Feelings and shared histories).

Trigger Warnings: violence, off-page abuse, addiction, kidnapping, and more.

#mybestfriendssecret #fallingembers #seekingsanctuary #cuffsandcommitment #oncebrokentwiceloved #cakeandcomfort #mychaoshiscalm #menoffairlake #menoffairlakeseries #romeoalexander #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad Next Door (Crimson Club #5)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Dad Next Door." It...