Monday, March 25, 2024

The Nerd and The Ex-Con (Ex's and No's #1)


Once again, targeted ads will be my fall. Though, in all fairness, this book has been on my TBR pile (not for long, but it's there). This book? Sage Abbott's "The Nerd & The Ex-Con." It's the first novel in her Ex's and No's series.

["I catfished my best friend’s Dad in prison.
But he'll never know, right?

Scott
For almost a decade, I've been the secret pen pal of a convict.
My best friend’s father.
All I wanted was to help bridge the gap between father and son.
But the innocent act soon turns into more.
Through our letters I am able to be the brave, confident guy I am in fact, not.
So what if I fibbed a little when I sent him a false photograph of me? And reinvented myself in those letters?
After all, what’s the harm when Griff will never be released from prison?

Griff
I spent two decades behind bars, but nothing could have prepared me for Scott.
When I get out on parole, I find the little liar is nothing like he portrayed.
But I’m not mad.
I prefer the hot, stuttering, mess that he is.
Beneath the glasses, braces, and fun size package, he is far from tame when it counts.
I just have one problem.
My relationship with Scottie might thwart my reconciliation with my son.
But how can I choose between them?
One’s my flesh and blood. The other is my heart and soul."]

This book was filled with so much. Fluff and sweetness. Spice and snark. Red flags and green flags. Toxic ex’s and not 100% non-toxic ex-cons. Breaks ups and hang ups. Secrets and more secrets. 

And yet, it was another completely satisfying read (and quite possibly another author added to my binge list).

Trigger Warnings: physical and emotional abuse (from a previous relationship), instances of physical and sexual harassment (by a former partner), themes of parental neglect/abandonment, a depiction of parental overdose, a main character's history as an ex-convict on parole for voluntary manslaughter (aka Griff), and more.

#thenerdandtheexon #exofkin #exsandnos #exsandnosseries #sageabbott #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Hide Your Stolen Baby (Closet Baby Chronicles #4)

Here's Anna Winheart's "How To Hide Your Stolen Baby." It's the fourth novel in her Closet Baby Chronicles series. Bec...