Saturday, March 2, 2019

Persepolis

"Persepolis" (1 and 2) by Marjane Satrapi is an graphic autobiography. Graphic meaning graphic novella and graphic meaning explicit."Persepolis" follows Marjane's childhood and early adult years in Iran during and after the Islamic Revolution. 

I read this in college as reading for my first year English Comp class. Coming from a small town, this was one of the first real depictions of something that was non-white, something real, something completely void of racism (except for typical things that come/came from the revolution). It helped me understand a part of history that has forever been bared by high school education systems (because its non-white, non-European related, non-Christian).

In my opinion, this book needs to be read by every child before or during high school. Every individual needs to be given this inside look into a world that is probably unfamiliar to them, EVEN IF (especially if) it is on a lot of banned book lists (if a book is banned, that usually means it needs to be read all that much more).


Go read it. Then watch the movies. They're all amazing.

What is one of your favorite banned books?

I'll be doing a banned book posting spree eventually (my friend recently sent me an article (that I have yet to read) all about banned books)).


#persepolis #marjanesatrapi #punkisnotdead #bannedbook #childrensbooks #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Suddenly A Murder

I thiiiiiiink I stumbled across Lauren Muńoz's "Suddenly A Murder" at target (not a targeted add this time--just lack of contr...