Saturday, March 2, 2019

Boxcar Children


Ahhh the "Boxcar Children". This was the very first Big-Girl book that I ever read. This was the book that made me fall in love with reading (that you to Mrs. Prager, my second grade teacher for forever instilling this passion into me at such a young age).

Gertrude Chandler Warner begun this series, and after her death, her daughter picked up the pen.

The first book follows orphan siblings Henry, Jesse, Violet, and Benny. They are sent to live with a baker and his wife, who have plans to separate the children, keeping two of them and putting the other two up for adoption. The other plan is that they are sent to live with their grandfather, who they were brought up with fear. Neither plan is okay with these spunky children, so they decide to run away.

They find an old boxcar in the woods and decide to make that their home (since then, I've always wanted my own little boxcar playhouse). The oldest two work to provide their new family with food and small comforts.

The rest of the books, as I seem to remember, follow the children as they solve crimes (am I even remembering that correctly? (I googled it, and yes, they did solve mysteries)). There are a total of 161 books. I, unabashedly, owned many of them. I might even have some of them still, somewhere (probably the attic).

What book(s) made you fall in love with reading? 


#boxcarchildren #gertrudechandlerwarner #childrensbooks #childrensclassics #bookstagram #books #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...