Sunday, February 16, 2020

Writing Slump

I'm also in a bit of a writing slump.

It's not the editing, necessarily, which is a still a hell in of itself.

It's the stop and start of it all. I get in a serious rhythm of editing, cranking out quick edits here, quick additions there, deleting crap everywhere. Then I get to a section where I need to add a whole new scene. Its hard switching back and forth.

I've been avoiding writing because of it. Its hard. I feel guilty for not writing. I feel guilty for barely putting anything on the page.


But a good thing I've been doing lately? Reading for craft.

I picked a few of my favorite books and decided to reread them to figure out why I loved them and chose my favorite parts and analyze them for areas in which I need help in my manuscript.


Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom: plot and more importantly subplots

  • each and every character as their one individual plot/motivations separate of each other and separate of the major heist plot

Red, White, and Royal Blue: fluff, love, sappiness

  • yes, there is a line in which too much fluff becomes overwhelming and cheesy, but RWRB has not crossed that line--it made its own

Carry On: point of view

  • my grad school advisor said that when I get to the point in which my novel is almost complete, I should be able to read through it using just one POV, and it should still make sense. So I decided to do that with Carry On. Do you like all my little tags?

I'm also using RWRB and CO to analyze very, very simple things like tense (past/present) and passive voice to see how much those authors use it versus how much I can/will/have used it.


So, I mean, this post in of itself has made me feel a little better about myself. But I still need to get down to that writing grind again. Any tips?


#sixofcrows #crookedkingdom #leighbarduo #redwhiteroyalblue #caseymcquiston #carryon #rainbowrowell #writerproblems #rereading #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad Next Door (Crimson Club #5)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Dad Next Door." It...