Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Writing/Editing Update

I love letting creative work set, and even more, I love coming back to it after it sets. 

You see each and every moment of character growth and witty dialogue and fluffy moments. You see how fucking great you are at writing, at creating worlds, at developing your characters. You laugh and smile and cry at your own work. It strengthens your ego. Also, you see each and every mistake and section that needs reworked/deleted (stuff you didn't see before--stuff you can fix now that you see it).

The thing I absolutely hate about coming back to creative work after it sets? You see each and every mistake and section that needs reworked/deleted (stuff you didn't see before--stuff you really should have seen/fixed the last time through). And that just makes you feel like shit. Makes your writing feel like crap. Makes you second guess almost every decision you ever made, in the manuscript and in real life.

It's a very hard see-saw-ing of events and emotions. Some might call it fun. Some might call it part of the process. Some might call it a need for a strong cup of cocoa and an early turn for your bed.

But I had to reread my manuscript Two Moves Ahead one more time before I start sending it out to agents, hoping one of them will want to pick it up/represent me. 
Mostly because a few of the forums I found on different agency websites asked for my favorite line... Like, make me pick a dozen words out of the 100,000+ document I birthed from nothingness? Sure. Absolutely no problem. (help. me.).

[[I'm guessing there's still no one who wants to help me read-through it and answer some questions for me? Still crickets on that one? Cool, thanks, y'all.]]

I think my headache is coming back. At least the blurry-from-reading-too-much-probably-too-fast eyes finally calmed down.

#writingproblems #editingproblems #writer #editing #querying #queryletters #headaches #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...