Sunday, February 28, 2021

Risk

"Risk" was Baylin Crow's very first queer novel (sure "Scar" was published first, but "Risk" was written first), and where it did show a bit on the page (her latter novels are much more developed and written with more skill/passion/insight), it was still a beautifully executed novel with several rather difficult topics tackled and a perfectly cheesy happy ending (spoiler alert??).

["We never should've been anything more than roommates.


DREW: Life dealing me a hard blow is nothing new. What's one more sucker punch?

When my uncle offers me a job working at his MMA training center, I jump at the chance to turn my life around...not upside down and questioning everything I know about myself.

Light Heavyweight Champion Asher Ramsey is the definition of a ladies' man. His stormy gray eyes and inked skin call to the artist in me and make me itch for my pencils and sketch pad so I can capture every detail. If I'm honest, they make me itch to touch every detail too, which confuses me.

After he offers to let me stay in his guest room, I discover there's more to Asher than he allows the world to see.

ASHER: My life is a lie. A play written and directed by my PR manager.

With the biggest fight of my career only weeks away, my focus is on securing my title. Losing my belt to some new up-and-comer isn't an option, and I can't afford any distractions. Or an unwanted attraction.

When Drew begins working at the gym where I train, my priorities waver. To make things worse, I offer to let him stay with me until he finds a place of his own. It'll be fine. Sure, I'm attracted to him, but I'm an expert at hiding behind the mask of a straight man. Besides, he's completely off-limits. Not that it matters--we don't even play for the same team.

What's the worst that can happen?"]

What's the worst that can happen?
I believe that whenever anyway says that phrase, it is necessary that at least one other person needs to repeat it. It makes it all that more dramatic. And its almost like a fun taunt to the universe: What's The Worst That Can Happen becomes more like What The Worst You Can Do/Give Me Your Worst (and I just love it).

Also, probably would have bawled during this book (if I had been reading it alone, I would have), but I held strong (strong enough).

One last Baylin Crow novel to read...anyone have any suggestions on what I should read next??

#risk #baylincrow #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...