Sunday, February 28, 2021

Scar


"Scar" was Baylin Crow's first (published) queer novel (though her first completed queer novel was "Risk"), and like "Risk", you can tell (again, as you can tell with most author's first few published pieces--oftentimes, it takes a while for authors to get into the grove of writing something new and getting into the different universe), but that doesn't mean this novel wasn't amazing.

A lot of fucking hard topics (I know I've said that for the past few books, but the homophobia in this one was strong, y'all)... A magnetic connection that can only be ignored for so long... A swift moving romance...

["A closed-off bartender. An outgoing college athlete. Sparks fly...but will anyone win this battle of wills?

BEARD: Oh, I want him. But it's too risky.

My past isn't pretty. After a disastrous incident nearly destroyed me, I rose from the ashes to reclaim my life. I may not be happy, but I'm comfortable. And I'll never let anyone get close enough to hurt me again. But then six feet of pure temptation walks through the doors of my bar...repeatedly...for a year. I've done a good job of ignoring the sexy college soccer player, until the night his teammates leave him stranded and intoxicated, forcing me to offer him shelter. Now I can't shake the persistent man.

SOCCER: I play to win. But he's more than a game.

As a forward, it's my job to score points. Too bad I haven't been able to do that with the local green-eyed bartender. I haven't been subtle about my attraction, and Beard's interest shines through his gruff exterior...whether he chooses to admit it or not. When my well-meaning teammates intervene, using questionable tactics, and leave me at Beard's mercy, it's time to make my move.

When past hurts threaten to destroy their chance at happiness, is it time for Soccer to push forward to reach his ultimate goal...or has he made a play destined for mutual heartbreak?"]

Also, like the character's names in the book are Beard and Soccer. They're not weird placeholder names that Baylin forgot to switch over. They're (cutesy) nicknames. It took me a chapter or two to be okay with it, but I very quickly was (give it time, and you will be, too).

Off to discover more fun book to obsessively binge-read :D

#scar #baylincrow #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...