Thursday, November 11, 2021

Carry On/Wayward Son/Any Way The Wind Blows


I know I've said how much this series changed my life over the past few years several times. But, honestly, get ready to hear it again (and again, and again).

"Carry On", "Wayward Son", and "Any Way The Wind Blows" has made me laugh, made me cry, gave me hope, gave me a whole lotta grief, gifted me friends, gifted me enemies (fucking numpties). I spend hours reading and rereading the books as well as obsessively scrolling through fanart and browsing fanfiction.
I have a folder filled with both as well as headcanons and theories and fake-quotes and aus. I have an entire shelf dedicated to the 3+ editions of each book in the series. I have commemorative mugs and sweatshirts, pins and badges. (and now I have a tattoo).

And its not just because the main couple is gay (homophobic idiots). It's so much fucking more than that.
It's about the trauma (I've read books about characters getting traumatized and getting over that trauma, but it's always point A to point Z, no one else really has talked about all of that shit in between).
It's about the acceptance (accepting yourself, accepting your wrong, accepting your sexuality, accepting that the world fucking sucks sometimes for no reason, accepting other's and their imperfections).
It's about magic (the literal magic, sure, but also the magic of friendship, of found family, of great loves and high school sweethearts that go nowhere).
It's about character development (not only figuring out your own character flaws, but figuring out how, even slowly, you can overcome them or thrive in-spite of them them; and helping the ones you love change for the better, too).
It's about the fandom (finding a place where everyone else feels the same feels as you do, finding a home amongst other people who love the people you love, finding inspiration in each other's art/writing).

I've been waiting what feels like forever to finally get this tattoo. I wanted to wait until the series was over. I wanted to wait until I reread all of the books at least twice (it took forever to get through AWTWB that second time). I wanted to wait for my birthday (what says happy birthday to me besides a new tattoo). Well, I'm done fucking waiting, so here we are.

#anywaythewindblows #waywardson #carryon #fangirl #rainbowrowell #magicath #carryonsimon #simonsnow #snowbaz #bazpitch #tyrannusbasiltongrimmpitch #dragons #watford #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Testing the Goalie (Green Springs University #2)

Sorta trying to catch up on a few books from my short list TBR piles. Here's Laura John's latest series: Green Springs University. T...