Saturday, November 13, 2021

Encore (Fandom series #4)


Famous MC to Famous MC? I'm shifting from Jay(d) Rollins of May Archer's "Off Key" (Whispering Key series) to Blake Monroe of Eden Finley's "Encore" (Famous series). (((aka, yet another book that I swore I'd read the day it debuted, but...life, ya know?)))

["BLAKE
Never make a bet with Jordan Brooks. That’s how I’ve ended up here, doing a movie that risks my entire acting career.

Taking on a gay role when I’m straight is problematic in its own right, but when production gets put on hold, and a fabricated story breaks out in the media, Jordan and I have to go into hiding.

Our livelihoods are put on the line all because of an ill-timed photo and Jordan’s bitter ex-boyfriend.

Scandals, lies, and PR nightmares. Welcome to Hollywood.

JORDAN
Why am I always drawn to the straight ones? You’d think I’d learn my lesson, but when our movie is delayed, I repeat old patterns.

My plan to bury my hurt and anger toward my ex by “method acting” with Blake Monroe is foolish. But Blake is as irresistible as he is good-looking, and he settles into his role easier than I thought he would. In fact, he likes it a little too much.

There are too many PR problems hooking up with Blake for real would bring, especially when the media thinks he’s the reason my relationship fell apart. Yet, I can’t walk away from him, and it seems, he can’t walk away from me either."]

Why are all men idiots? Well, literary men (though, IRL men are also idiots, so there's that). These two totally have a spark, maybe not from day one, but there's most definitely a spark. But they play these games to get closer but not too close. They hold each other close to protect themselves from the outside world, but then have to hold themselves back from each other to protect themselves from actual feelings. And holy shit, are there actual feelings. Sure, it starts off as simple attraction (at least, that's what they want you to think), but then it turns into something so. much. more.

These two were so damn cute though. They had everything going for them. And yet, they had the entire world against them. It was torture watching how slowly they fell in love (because they fought it so long), but it was so freaking beautiful.

I thought a chunk at the end was a little overkill (just put there as a pretty bow to tie up the series as a whole, not just this novel), but all in all, a fantastic ending to the series. Honestly. ... Except, Eden wrote a short story called "On Tour Will Eleven", that I will be reading/reviewing next.

Trigger Warnings: homophobia, queerphobia, blackmail-ish, toxic relationships, media being fucking media, hollywood being fucking hollywood, etc. 

#popstar #spotlight #lockedheart #thornedheart #fandom #encore #ontourwitheleven #famous #famousseries #edenfinley #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...