Friday, May 27, 2022

Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked The World


I can't remember who or where exactly I saw this book, but I'm sooooo happy that I stumbled across it (wherever and by whomever). Pénélope Bagieu's "Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked The World."

["Throughout history and across the globe, one characteristic connects the daring women of Brazen: their indomitable spirit. Against overwhelming adversity, these remarkable women raised their voices and changed history.

With her one-of-a-kind wit and dazzling drawings, celebrated graphic novelist Pénélope Bagieu profiles the lives of these feisty female role models, some world-famous, some little known. From Nellie Bly to Mae Jemison or Josephine Baker to Naziq al-Abid, the stories in this comic biography are sure to inspire the next generation of rebel ladies."]

And, unlike some other books, this book is incredibly inclusive. It's not just all modern women, it's not just all white women, it's not just all cis women, or straight women, or American/European-based women, or women who wanted to rebel or asked to be a role model. It's all encompassing and diversive and beautiful. 

I've re-learned about women I already read about before, women I never knew were anything other than internet rumors, women whom I never before knew existed. It's honest and straightforward. It's for adults and children (if you're willing to talk about a few difficult subjects). It's written and illustrated to levels I'm extremely jealous of. Each women has her own story, from start to finish, with a little life-lesson repeated at the end, followed up with a magnificent two-page mural dedicated to her/her story. All in full technicolor.

I've always been a proud female, and once I learned the true meaning of a feminist, I've always been that as well. Reading about my fellow rebels and nasty women, I've even more proud to be who I am.

Everyone needs to read this book. Everyone. Go, go now and buy it or borrow it from a local library. Read. It.

#brazen #brazenrebelladieswhorockedtheworld #rebelladieswhorockedtheworld #penelopebagieu #feminism #graphicnovels #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...