Friday, May 27, 2022

Dear Mr. Brody (For Him series #3)


I stumbled across this series (For Him by A.M. Johnson) after an email recommendation came my way from Saxon James. The third book is titled “Dear Mr. Brody.”

["Parker,
I never meant for any of this to happen, to fall for you. It doesn't matter that we're both adults, or how much we want this to work. The college policy is clear. I can't see a way around this without one of us getting hurt. If I would’ve known who you were when we met online, I would have never pursued a relationship. I'm new to all of this, and besides my daughter, getting to know you has been the best thing to ever happen to me. But I can't make you hide again. I won't. It's not fair to either of us.
Deepest regrets,
Donovan


Dear Mr. Brody,
You're right, we are adults. I'm twenty-four years old, and I think I can decide for myself what's best for me. If this is about you losing your job, I'll walk away. But if this is you trying to protect me, then you're an idiot. I want you. I care about you. My past isn't an issue. What we're doing… it isn't the same thing. If we have to hide, so be it. I'm not ready to let you go.
Your Lost Boy,
Parker"]

I sped-read through half of this book and then took an immediate two-week hiatus from it (and reading in general). Everything was going great for them; they were happy and peaceful and well on their way to falling in love. I, like a completely rational human being, wanted to avoid the shoe from dropping, from the shit hitting the fan, so I just ignored everything (and bought a shit ton of more books that I'll just add to the TBR shelves--I need a new bookshelf to dedicate my TBR piles to, but that's another rant/post). 

Let me tell you, I was an idiot. Yes, there was the inevitable angst that comes with a new romance, let alone a risky and newly-out-and-proud one, but the angst levels were sooooooo much lower than I had built up in my own anxiety-ridden mind (spoil alert).

This book was soooo cute and beautiful and supportive as fuck. Parker supported Van, and Van supported Parker, and their friends supported them individually (as well as together--spoiler alert part two). It was difficult, and they had to work through it, but they made it work.

I was a little disappointed in the so-called Peter Pan references that the blurb on GoodReads said would be in here. Yes, there was mention of Peter Pan and Tinker Bell. But it wasn't from the original J.M. Barrie text, or even one of the many movie adaptations. They kept referencing a queer adaptation of the original text (of which there are many--all of which are purchased and on previously mentioned TBR shelves); however, said adaptation isn't a real book but one made up for the sake of the storyline. As an author I totally understand the need for this as well as the continuation of the series inside jokes based on famous books/love of books, however, as a massive fan (I have three tattoos dedicated to it) of the original Peter Pan text, I was a little (okay, a lot) disappointed. Still really, really, really enjoyed the book itself though, queer Peter Pan references included. 

Trigger Warnings: homophobia, assault, violence, forced closeting, etc. 

#lovewalwayswild #notsosincerelyyours #dearmrbrody #towhomitmayconcern #foreverconamor #forhim #forhimseries #amjohnson #saxonjames #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden Scars (Darby U Hockey Boys #1)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...