Thursday, August 18, 2022

Truth or Darren (The Games We Play #2)


Trying to catch up on some of my TBRs piled up in my Kindle account before my next binge-read session...Here's D.J. Jamison's "Truth or Darren" (the second book in the Games We Play series). 

["Truth or...whoa, that's not the dare!
What happens when my big mouth writes a check it can't cash while taunting my ex's brother in a game of Truth or Dare? I end up with his tongue in my mouth. In my very straight, totally uninterested mouth.
While I don't feel anything.
Nothing at all.
In fact, I barely noticed.
So, why can't I stop thinking about it?"]

Okay, with having gotten to know Darren from the previous books (book and novella), I really, really, REALLY didn't expect his character to be like...how he is. I mean, like obviously, a lot of authors make characters in one book more of an archetype (town trouble maker, never serious, player, etc) to help move the story around, and then, in their own book, said character gets fleshed out and more well-rounded. But like, holy. shit. This character development was beautiful and wonderful, and I'm all for it.

This book in general was like that. I expected a lot of the enemies side of the enemies-to-lovers trope. I was wrong. I expected a lot of fighting-the-chemistry and avoiding the bi-curiosity and keeping-it-a-secret-so-the-town-doesn't-find-out. I was wrong. And damn, I'm really glad I was. It was fucking fabulous. 

#twotruthsandalyle #neverhaveievan #truthordarren #sevenminutesinkevin #gamesweplay #gamesweplayseries #djjamison  #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blurred Lines (Darby U Hockey Boys #2)

When there's far too many books to pick from, what do you do? Naturally, panic and read nothing while you debate (with yourself) on what...