Monday, March 27, 2023

Pretty Obsessed (Pretty Broken #1)


Yet another accidentally-stumbled-upon book/series. At least this one is by the same author as the last? This is J.R. Gray's Pretty Broken series. The first book is titled "Pretty Obsessed."

["Emory Ker
Who makes out with a random guy at a club while someone else is giving him head? Not me—that's who. I'd never even hooked up with a stranger. Welp, now I had. If you could call what I'd done hooking up. But it was so much more intimate than a hook-up. I'd tasted his lips as someone else made him come. He'd gasped into my mouth.
Now I was sitting in front of him and he was asking me to kiss him again.

River Wade
We became famous overnight.
One day I was a twenty-four-year-old drummer slinging pizzas to make ends meet and the next, I was a member of the most popular alternative band ever.
Despite being world-famous, there was no connection in it. I'd lost touch with reality. With intimacy. I couldn't find a place to be normal. I'd lived my entire life straight-edged while watching obsession destroy my best friend.
Obsession terrified me.
That is until I met him.
The first taste left me intoxicated.
The rockstar obsessed with the writer—rather funny if you think about it.
After a night with him, he vanishes into thin air, and all the money in the world can't help me find him.
I have to track him down and convince him there might be millions of people who would do anything to get a chance to sleep with me, but I only had eyes for him.
Convince this beautiful boy I'm pretty obsessed."]

This series reminded me a looot of K.M. Neuhold's Replay series. All about a band, each member gets their own book, each member is a little broken, each book is a little (or a lot) dark and twisty, and they're on the verge of breaking up if they don't figure their shit out.

This book was sooooo fucking good! I read it slower, because I kept waiting for the shit to come and for the break-up to happen and for me sob uncontrollably (spoiler alert, that didn't happen).
I mean, who knew how fucking dirty River was with his aversion to relationships and connection (and how good he was at both--how hard he fell), and who knew how fucking soft and cinnamon-rolly Emory was (and how hard he fell). They were utterly perfect for each other, even if they fought so much of it for so long (until they didn't).

Head the trigger warnings. I didn't think this book (or River) was too bad, obsession and toxic-crutch wise, but Iris was...Iris (he needs a warm blanket and some cocoa and all of the cuddles--but he has...some series toxic-crutches).

Trigger Warnings: alcohol/alcoholism, drugs, talk of involuntary treatment, suicide, and more

#prettyobsessed #prettytoxic #prettywreck #prettyfucked #prettyblack #prettybroken #prettybrokenseries #jrgray #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dad Next Door (Crimson Club #5)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Dad Next Door." It...