Monday, October 9, 2023

The Escape


My tentative goal for October is to read only thrillers/murder mysteries/dark romances/paranormals/etc (unless my mental health kicks up a fight about it). Here's Hannah Jayne's "The Escape."

["When two boys walk into the woods, and one comes out covered in blood, what would you believe?

Fletcher and Adam venture into the woods for an afternoon hike, but when day turns into night and neither boy returns, their town is thrown into turmoil. 

Avery, the detective's daughter, is the one to find Fletcher—disheveled, disoriented, and covered in blood. He has no memory of what happened, but Avery can't shake the feeling that something's off. 

When Adam's body is finally found, Avery is determined to uncover the truth. But if she stands by her gut, and Fletcher; is she standing by a friend, or a murderer? The answer might cost her her life."]

Definitely not what I thought the outcome would be. Far from it. I didn’t have many solid ideas on who did what, but I was very, very wrong in all aspects. 

This one hit up a lot of the psychological aspects of thrillers. I mean, seriously. The dual pov helped too (with the thrill and the mystery). 

Another think I’m not sure I like about Hannah’s books? The parents are villianized frequently, as in they’re just super strict or absent or victim-blame-y. Not many have been happy, normal, supportive. It’s a little 90s Disney imo. But it’s also the genre so… I’ll accept it (mostly).

#theescape #hannahjayne #thriller #yathriller #murdermystery #yamurdermystery #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...