Wednesday, September 4, 2024

The Retreat (New York Gods #2)


Here's another ARC that I waited until the last minute to read...oops. Here's Andi Jaxon's "The Retreat." It's the second novel in her New York Gods series.

["I’ll do anything not to marry the girl my parents want me to.
Including marrying her brother in a drunken panic.
I’m not gay, but I can fake it long enough to get our parents off my back, right?
Cue hiding out for the next two years, but nothing is that simple, because I’m offered a spot on the US National team.
Now we have to fake it for the entire world as the poster boys of gay fencers while Colin makes me doubt everything I think I am.
I’m not prepared for all the ways I depend on Colin. Or the place he’s filling in my life.
But I can’t keep this up.
I’m slipping on a national stage.
And he’s going to press every button until I snap, ruining this for us both."]

This book. Wow, this book.

Colin isn't used to being wanted. He's fine with it. He knows that people don't need him for much so he doesn't let himself get too attached (everyone leaves eventually anyway). 
Owen is used to being a robot, too many emotions or not enough. Either way, people aren't his thing; he doesn't have the mental or emotional capacity for it. He keeps them away to protect himself.

So of course, these two fall in love. And get married. WELLLLLL, they get married and THEN fall in love. Then things went to shit, I sobbed for a while, and then they had a HEA. What more could you ask for?

Quote of the Day (Owen): "Is my body missing human contact? How inconvenient and rude would that be? Fucking human needs."

Trigger Warnings: drugs, parental abuse (physical, verbal, and emotional), parental homophobia, parent forcing soon to be adult child marriage, mental illness, depression, anxiety, social anxiety, suicidal idealization, and more.

#booksprout #indieauthorcreative #arc #arcteammember
#onguard #theretreat #newyorkgods #newyorkgodsseries #jrgray #andijaxon #books #queerbooks #queererotica #bodicerippers #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clueless Puckboy (Puckboys #5)

Getting lucky and receiving an ARC of "Forbidden Puckboy" means I need to hurry up and caught up with the other two books in the P...