Friday, July 23, 2021

This Winter

So the other day, after re-reading the HeartStopper series (and then finding it on Webtoon and re-binging it and then binging the entire fourth volume (chapters five and six)), I went and bought the rest of Alice Oseman's books (which I've been meaning to do anyway so here's to that).

I read "Nick and Charlie" first, and then I read "This Winter." Which takes place during the fourth volume of Heartstopper (chapters five and six), so if you haven't read those yet, I would before you read this one.

["I used to think that difficult was better than boring, but I know better now …

I’m not going to think about the past few months, about Charlie and me, and all of the sad. I’m going to block it all out. Just for today.

"Happy Christmas," I say.

The festive season isn't always happy for Tori and her brother Charlie. And this year's going to be harder than most. "]

Binged this, too. Didn't cry, proud of myself on that one.

Charlie's mental illness(es) were hinted at, and then not so subtly hinted at, from the very first chapter of the Heartstoppers comics. And the way Alice Oseman portrays them is just amazing. It's beautifully illustrated (his anxiety) and approached with such a kind heart and pure intentions (probably because of Nick, but ya know). Mental illnesses can't be "fixed", but need support and resources in which to be able to approach your hard days with less Eeyore and more Pooh Bear (if that weird ass metaphor makes sense). It's inclusive. But at the same time, Alice also portrays the people who don't understand how mental illness works let alone how one goes about treating them.

Read. This.

#heartstopper #nickandcharlie #aliceoseman #graphicnovel #queergraphicnovel #YAgraphicnovel #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...