Sunday, July 18, 2021

TV Edition: Young Royals

So if listening to an audio book counts as reading, does reading the subtitles on a Swedish TV show (the entire season in one sitting) count as reading, too?

I kept seeing fanart and fan theories and tumblr/twitter posts about Young Royals, and I watched the trailer like 4 times (decided not to watch it 3 times, because I need to multitask to function and its hard to do that while reading subtitles but I said fuck it and watched--rambling, moving on), and finally caved this afternoon and watched it.

I regret nothing.

I regret a few things. Mostly the amount of tissues I used (throughout--like fuck, it was sooooo emotional).

And soooo fuuuuucking reeeeaaaaal. The queer representation. The representation of mental illness (depression, anxiety, ADHA, aspergers, etc). The way the popular girl's cliche was NICE. The way they communicated (eventually) with each other. The way that nothing that Wilhelm/Simon did was blamed on them (because it wasn't their fucking fault--well, their relationship wasn't). The way the girls are just open and honest with each other (especially during the breakfast scene in ep 2). The fact that the actors were actual teenagers with actual acne and actual flaws (not a cast filled with models). The diversity. The other fact that the main writer (most of the writers actually) and the main director are females.

I have more feelings, but just trust me, watch it. 

I don't believe I included any spoilers (except a vague reference to a thing or two), but if you don't want any spoilers, definitely don't look at the last page. #startarevolution 

#youngroyals #youngroyalsnetflix #tv #netflix #gaytv #gaynetflix #books #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks





No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...