Monday, August 23, 2021

Sideways Stories From Wayside School

I fell in love with books and reading in second grade. I will always remember that. We did circle time in the morning, and each day, my teacher would end it with reading a chapter out of our latest book. I fell in love with #TheBoxcarChildren that way (and like I said, reading in general--which moved to my love of writing). 

But I also vividly remember reading (and loving) the craziness and randomness of Louis Sachar's "Sideways Stories From Wayside School". It was so fucking insane, and I just thought it was the best shit ever. So when it popped up on my Prime Reading suggestions, you KNOW I took a jump at that (and it took me over a year to actually get to reading it, but that's me for you).

["There was a terrible mistake-Wayside School was built with one classroom on top of another, thirty stories high! (The builder said he was sorry.) Maybe that's why all kinds of funny things happened at Wayside-especially on the thirteenth floor."]

I just loved reading these stories again. Middle Grade/Chapter Books are so damn fun sometimes. Your brain needs to continue to consume words, but it also needs a break sometimes. 

And a few of the chapters really showed me where my writing style/narrator voice originally came from (especially that "the builder said he was sorry" part and the parenthesis part). Which was startling but really fun to realize that even that part of me started in the second grade.

What book(s) started your obsession?

#sidewaysstoriesfromwaysideschool #wayside #louissachar #timheitz #books #childrensbooks #childrensclassics #bookstagram #bookphotography #ilovebooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Left on Read (Crimson Club #4)

Attempting to get to my backlog of favorite authors and their newest releases... Here's Willow Dixon's "Left on Read." It&...